Jeffrey Epstein 5 min read

Former Prince Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

Source: Fox News:

King Charles III reacted to his brother's arrest in a statement from Buckingham Palace

Former Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

King Charles III reacted to his brother's arrest in a statement issued by Buckingham Palace.

"I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office," the king said. "What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course."

"As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all," he added.

The Thames Valley Police, without naming who it was referring to, issued a statement noting that "we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk."

EX-PRINCE ANDREW IGNORES US EPSTEIN PROBE REQUESTS AS EXPERTS WARN OF ‘GHASTLY' OPTICS FOR ROYAL FAMILY

A view of the exterior of a vehicle in Sandringham, Norfolk, as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is arrested
SANDRINGHAM, NORFOLK - FEBRUARY 19: Men step out of an unmarked car at the home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on February 19, 2026 in Sandringham, Norfolk. Andrew Mounbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, following police investigation into the recently release Epstein files. The former prince continues to deny any wrongdoing. (Photo by Peter Nicholls/Getty Images) (Peter Nicholls / Getty Images)

"The man remains in police custody at this time. We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance," the police noted.

The force, which covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, did not identify the suspect, in line with standard procedures in Britain, but pointed to the statement when asked to confirm if Andrew was arrested.

Mountbatten-Windsor is 66-years-old. His birthday is today.

EX-PRINCE ANDREW'S DAUGHTERS ‘EMOTIONALLY DRAINED’ AS EXPLOSIVE EPSTEIN FILES STRAIN FAMILY TIES: EXPERT

Andrew and King Charles
Prince Andrew, Duke of York and King Charles III attend Katharine, Duchess of Kent's Requiem Mass service at Westminster Cathedral on September 16, 2025 in London, England.  (Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)

"Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office," Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright noted. 

"It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time," he added.

Mountbatten-Windsor has faced public scrutiny due to his ties to the late Jeffrey Epstein, who is said to have killed himself in 2019.

Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who committed suicide last year, alleged that Mountbatten-Windsor had sex with her when he knew she was only 17, according to an extract from her memoir published by The Guardian

She said that Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell had told her, "When we get home, you are to do for him what you do for Jeffrey."

"He was friendly enough, but still entitled – as if he believed having sex with me was his birthright," Giuffre wrote of Mountbatten-Windsor. "The next morning, Maxwell told me: ‘You did well. The prince had fun.’ Epstein would give me $15,000 for servicing the man the tabloids called ‘Randy Andy,’" Giuffre wrote.

PRINCE ANDREW ACCUSER VIRGINIA GIUFFRE FEARED SHE WOULD ‘DIE A SEX SLAVE’ IN JEFFREY EPSTEIN TRAFFICKING RING

A view of the exterior of a vehicle in Sandringham, Norfolk, as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is arrested
SANDRINGHAM, NORFOLK - FEBRUARY 19: A man steps out of an unmarked car at the home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on February 19, 2026 in Sandringham, Norfolk. Andrew Mounbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, following police investigation into the recently release Epstein files. The former prince continues to deny any wrongdoing. (Photo by Peter Nicholls/Getty Images) (Peter Nicholls / Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Giuffre's family said in a statement, "At last. Today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty. On behalf of our sister, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, we extend our gratitude to the UK’s Thames Valley Police for their investigation and arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you."

In October 2025, Mountbatten-Windsor declared in a statement that he would "no longer use my title or the honours which have been conferred upon me," noting, "As I have said previously, I vigorously deny the accusations against me." 

Later that same month, a statement from Buckingham Palace declared that the king had "initiated a formal process to remove the Style, Titles and Honours of Prince Andrew," noting, "Prince Andrew will now be known as Andrew Mountbatten Windsor."

VIRGINIA GIUFFRE'S MEMOIR RECOUNTS RAPE BY FORMER PRIME MINISTER; EPSTEIN'S TIES TO BILL CLINTON, TRUMP

A view of the exterior of a vehicle in Sandringham, Norfolk, as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is arrested
SANDRINGHAM, NORFOLK - FEBRUARY 19: A man steps out of an unmarked car at the home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on February 19, 2026 in Sandringham, Norfolk. Andrew Mounbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, following police investigation into the recently release Epstein files. The former prince continues to deny any wrongdoing. (Photo by Peter Nicholls/Getty Images) (Peter Nicholls / Getty Images)

The Crown Prosecution Service indicates that misconduct in public office has a maximum sentence of life in prison.

"Misconduct in public office ("MiPO") is a common law offence that can be tried only on indictment. It carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. The offence concerns serious wilful abuse or neglect of the power or responsibilities of the public office held. There must be a direct link between the misconduct and an abuse of those powers or responsibilities. The Court of Appeal has made it clear that the offence should be strictly confined, and it can raise complex and sometimes sensitive issues," according to the Crown Prosecution Service.

The Associated Press and Fox News' Tim Santhouse and David Spunt contributed to this report

You did not use the site, Click here to remain logged. Timeout: 60 second