Rwanda on Monday severed diplomatic ties with Belgium and expelled all Belgian diplomats from the country. A Rwandan foreign ministry statement said the European nation had "consistently undermined" Kigali "during the ongoing conflict in the Democratic Republic of Congo". Belgium called the measure "disproportionate" and expelled Rwandan diplomats in response.
In a statement released Monday, Rwanda's foreign ministry said, "The Government of Rwanda today notified the Government of Belgium of its decision to sever diplomatic relations, effective immediately."
"Belgium has clearly taken sides in a regional conflict and continues to systematically mobilize against Rwanda in different forums, using lies and manipulation to secure an unjustified hostile opinion of Rwanda, in an attempt to destabilize both Rwanda and the region," it said.
RWANDA SEVERS DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS WITH BELGIUM
— Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Int'l Cooperation (@RwandaMFA) March 17, 2025
The Government of Rwanda today notified the Government of Belgium of its decision to sever diplomatic relations, effective immediately. Rwanda’s decision has been taken after careful consideration of several factors, all linked… pic.twitter.com/Me6l13s4Bq
Belgium slams Rwanda's 'disproportionate' move
Belgium immediately slammed the move as "disproportionate" and expelled all Rwandan diplomats from the European country.
"Belgium regrets the decision of Rwanda to cut off diplomatic relations with Belgium and to declare Belgium's diplomats persona non grata," Belgium's Foreign Minister Maxime Prevot said on X.
Belgium regrets the decision of Rwanda to cut off diplomatic relations with Belgium and to declare Belgium’s diplomats persona non grata.
— Maxime PREVOT (@prevotmaxime) March 17, 2025
This is disproportionate and shows that when we disagree with Rwanda they prefer not to engage in dialogue.
Belgium will take similar…
"This is disproportionate and shows that when we disagree with Rwanda they prefer not to engage in dialogue," said Prevot.
The latest diplomatic spat came as the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo on Monday said it will participate in peace talks in Angola set for Tuesday with the Rwanda-backed M23 rebel group that has advanced in Congo’s mineral-rich east.
The M23 rebel group has also sent a delegation to Luanda, the group's spokesperson Lawrence Kanyuka said on X Monday.
The conflict in eastern Congo escalated in January when the Rwanda-backed rebels advanced and seized terrain in the DR Congo's mineral-rich east.
EU sanctions Rwandan commanders over M23 in DR Congo
The EU on Monday sanctioned nine individuals in connection with the conflict in eastern DR Congo, including three of Rwanda's military commanders and the head of its state mining agency.
Rwandan special forces commander Ruki Karusisi and two army division commanders, Eugene Nkubito and Pascal Muhizi, as well as the head of the Rwanda Mines, Petroleum and Gas Board, Francis Kamanzi were targeted in the latest sanctions.
The other five people sanctioned by the EU were senior leaders of the M23 group, including its head, Bertrand Bisimwa.
A UN report said last year that Kigali effectively controls the M23 and has around 4,000 troops in the country.
(FRANCE 24 with AFP and Reuters)
Newer articles