British Royal Family

King Charles spotted for first time since cancer bombshell

user avatar Author: Editors Desk
February 6, 2024 at 17:16

King Charles remains “very positive” after starting his cancer treatment, spending last night at home in London.

King Charles III has been seen for the first time since the bombshell announcement' about his cancer diagnosis. 

On Tuesday afternoon, UK time, Charles and Queen Camilla left Clarence House in London to head to Buckingham Palace where he took a helicopter ride to Sandringham, in Norfolk in England’s east, one of the royal residences. 

The King had reportedly been at Clarence House to see Harry, Duke if Sussex, whom has jetted in from California. 

Charles was seemingly in chipper mood, smiling as he took the short trip to the palace. 
 

Britain's King Charles III and Britain's Queen Camilla wave as they leave by car from Clarence House, travelling to Buckingham Palace, in London on February 6, 2024. (Photo by HENRY NICHOLLS / AFP)
Britain's King Charles III and Britain's Queen Camilla wave as they leave by car from Clarence House, travelling to Buckingham Palace, in London on February 6, 2024. (Photo by HENRY NICHOLLS / AFP)


 
King Charles III looked in a positive mood in. (Photo by HENRY NICHOLLS / AFP)
King Charles III looked in a positive mood in. (Photo by HENRY NICHOLLS / AFP)


Earlier on Tuesday, UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak provided some detail on the King’s diagnosis. He said the cancer was caught early.

Buckingham Palace has not specified the type of cancer afflicting the 75-year-old, who has stepped back from his public appearances but continues his other official state duties.

Monday’s shock announcement sparked an immediate deluge of messages of support, with Charles’s estranged son Prince Harry landing in the UK to support him.

Charles spent last night at home in London after starting his treatment.

Friends and family of the King say his spirits remain high as he fights his latest health battle.

Charles is currently taking time off from his public-facing royal duties after further tests during his recent hospital stay detected the disease.
 

King Charles III with Queen Camilla leaves The London Clinic on January 29, 2024.
King Charles III with Queen Camilla leaves The London Clinic on January 29, 2024.



The palace revealed in a statement that while undergoing surgery for an enlarged prostate, the unspecified cancer was found.

It is understood Charles returned from Sandringham to London on Monday to commence treatment as an outpatient.

The monarch arrived in the capital with Camilla, 76, by his side before retiring for the evening at Clarence House, reports Sky News.

Family members have rallied around the King, with Princess Beatrice and husband Edoardo Mozzi spending time with him at the residence.

While Charles takes a step back from being in the public eye, Prince William, 41, and the Queen are set to share the “weight” of his duties.

All other working members of the Royal Family are understood to be continuing with public engagements in his absence.

He will however, continue to receive Red Boxes and State documents and hold a weekly audience with the Prime Minister.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak sent his best wishes to the King this morning, telling BBC Radio 5 Live: “All our thoughts are with him and his family.

“Thankfully, this has been caught early.”

He said everyone will be hoping the King “gets the treatment that he needs and makes a full recovery”.

The PM added: “That’s what we’re all hoping and praying for, and I’m of course in regular contact with him and will continue to communicate with him as normal.”

Charles personally broke the shock news to sons William and Harry ahead of the public announcement.

Harry was spotted at LAX ready to jet back to the UK following the telephone conversation with his father.

He landed at Heathrow at around 1pm Tuesday, local time.
 

Prince Harry dashed back to the UK to be by his father’s side.
Prince Harry dashed back to the UK to be by his father’s side.


It is not known where Harry will stay after he was evicted from Frogmore Cottage on the Windsor estate last year.

Harry’s urgent flight back has seen him leave behind wife Meghan and their children.

The Duchess of Sussex, 42, is remaining at their Montecito mansion in California with their children Archie, four, and two-year-old Lilibet.

Royal experts claim the news may finally see Harry put his four-year rift aside as the Royal Family pull together in this difficult time.

It comes as the duke was due to visit Canada next week ahead of the Invictus Games and take part in several public engagements across Vancouver with Meghan.
 

Meghan will stay in California with the couple’s two children. (Photo by Marcus Ingram/Getty Images)
Meghan will stay in California with the couple’s two children. (Photo by Marcus Ingram/Getty Images)


Monday’s announcement came just eight days after His Majesty was released from hospital following a “corrective procedure” for an enlarged prostate.

But, during his stay a “separate issue of concern was noted” and tests went on to find cancer.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman stated: “Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer.

“His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties.

“Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.
 

King Charles remains “very positive” after starting his cancer treatment, spending last night at home in London.
King Charles remains “very positive” after starting his cancer treatment, spending last night at home in London.


“The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure.

“He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible.

“His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer.”

The news of the King’s cancer diagnosis sparked shockwaves across the world.

Messages wishing Charles a swift recovery flooded in following the palace statement.

French President Emmanuel Macron wished Charles a “speedy recovery” on X, adding: “Our thoughts are with the British people.”

US President Joe Biden said he was “concerned” about King Charles, while Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he and the nation were “thinking of his majesty King Charles III as he undergoes treatment for cancer”.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese told reporters: “All Australians will be sending their best wishes to King Charles for a speedy recovery.”

Charles’ cancer battle comes after a series of health scares to hit the Royal Family since the New Year.

First, Kate was admitted to hospital on January 16 for planned abdominal surgery.

The dramatic news was followed an hour later by an announcement that the King required an operation for “an enlarged prostate”.

Charles was admitted to the same hospital as Kate on January 26 for surgery.

He stayed for three nights before leaving with Camilla, 76, wearing a dapper coat, suit and tie – cheerily waving at wellwishers.

Prince Andrew’s ex-wife Sarah Ferguson was also diagnosed with skin cancer in January, just months after having treatment for breast cancer.

With The Sun.

Keywords
You did not use the site, Click here to remain logged. Timeout: 60 second